Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Stitch 'n Bitch Birthday Bash

When we moved Stitch 'n Bitch to Wednesdays this semester, my first thought was probably something like, "We're going to need new posters." My second thought, however, I remember distinctly:

"YES YES YES! STITCH 'N BITCH ON MY BIRTHDAY!!"

That's right, I got to celebrate my 21st birthday with good yarn and even better friends. Upon my arrival, I was showered with gifts. A chocolate strawberry here, a hand dyed skein of sock yarn inspired by the 11th Doctor there. Wait, what? That's right folks.

You might just think this yarn is beautiful (it is) but the fact that it's inspired by my favorite BBC series takes it to a whole new level of awesome.

It might be sock yarn, but I want this stuff as close to my face as possible.


Necklace, anyone?

I'm considering just knitting a sack so my head can be totally surrounded in all 400 yards of Merino goodness.

Other stuff did happen at SnB besides, you know, my ardent fans lavishing me with gifts.

Madeline modeled a birthday gift that arrived this week from Alex. I absolutely love it. It's knit out of Rowan Kidsilk Haze.

The pattern is "Herfst Avond Scarf" from the book Brioche Knitting

Teresa was in the process of knitting a sweater on the largest pair of knitting needles I have ever seen in person. Size 50, I believe. I wouldn't cross her.


Several new handknit hats came into the world this week. They came off the needles healthy and fashionable.

Katherine's cabled creation

Madeline's new beret, modeled by Katherine

One of THREE hats Madeline made last weekend

Anna's first colorwork project

Something about my photography style must make people anxious. Just look at Madeline and Anna's expressions! Maybe it's the way I don't tell them I'm taking a picture 'til my camera is all up in their face. That could be it.

A couple of newbs showed up to learn how to purl. Michelle and Katherine oohed and ahhed appreciatively when I knitted before entomology last semester. For that ego boost, teaching them how to purl was the least I could do.


Upon finishing her first pair of socks (an ambitious project for a beginning knitter), Sarah proudly modeled them for me.

Either Sarah wasn't meant to model socks, or I wasn't meant to photograph them.

That's a little better.

As a reward for her hard work, Madeline bestowed a rare skein of Harry Potter sock yarn (colorway: Lupin) upon Sarah. Have you figured out that we love pop culture inspired sock yarn?


Action Shot: Winding the Yarn Barf


I've been toying with the idea of a new hobby recently. My time spent on Regretsy and STEOTCH has given me a newfound appreciation for subversive cross stitch. I don't just want to stitch a farmyard scene for a throw pillow. I want to cross stitch Rick Astley lyrics on everything.

Given my recent habit of scouring Etsy for starter kits, imagine my delight when my friend Kristen came to SnB to work on some zombie themed cross stitch. How cool is that?

We might exchange knitting/cross stitch lessons. Here's part of a tombstone she finished during the meeting.


Even though I have no photographic evidence, I swear I've knitted things in the past week. Awesome things that might be gifts. Shhhhhhh...

No comments:

Post a Comment